Thursday, April 7, 2011

Stroller Fitness - How good of a workout can it be?

Looking for a great workout that you can bring your baby along to? Wondering if you can actually get results with a Stroller Fitness class? Well, the answer to that, really depends on which class you are taking. I have taken classes in the past that were not so great, and I have taken classes that have kicked my butt! I started teaching Stroller Fitness classes 4 years ago when my first daughter was just over a year old. I have learned a lot over the past 4 seasons and have designed a class that is both fun & social as well as a great full-body workout. I am even more excited for this coming season as I have new idea's and I am ready to get outdoors again!

Most Stroller Fitness classes are only offered to moms with children 16 months and under. I have always kept my classes open to kids of all ages. There are so many moms out there with toddlers that want to continue to workout with their children. There are also a lot of moms out there with more than one kid... what about them? My rule is that as long as you are happy and getting in a workout, I am happy. I do my best to help all the moms get in a great workout while keeping the kidlets entertained.


For the past 4 summers, I have brought my kids with me to all my classes. Last year, by the time Friday would roll around, my girls would be sick of the classes and be begging to not go. So, this year I have signed them up for some camps and some time at the cottage with Grandma and Grandpa. They will still be with me every 3rd week, but at least they will have a few weeks off in between to keep us all sane. This is going to be a very different experience for all of us. I am so use to having my girls with me for these classes... dragging them and all their entertainment for the morning in the wagon as we haul our butts across Queen St. E... a long 45 minute walk each direction some days. Ok, so that part I will not miss so much.


My Stroller Fitness class has evolved to a full body workout with cardio bursts between in order to maximize the calorie burn. We use fitness loops, resistance bands, benches, hills, and our own body weight for the exercises. It is amazing how great of a workout you can get with so little equipment. I do not expect my moms to bring their own weights, like a lot of the other classes... really, they have enough to worry about and I can not imagine adding another 10 lbs to my stroller when my girls were younger. No fancy stroller is required. I do not have the moms running laps... although I may be introducing an extra cardio "add-on" for those interested... but, for those interested, they can get the fancy stroller. I actually did the class with the wagon most of the time last summer.


So, if you are interested in checking out a Stroller Fitness class this year, check out www.beachesfitness.ca for more information. I will be updating the website soon with a full summer schedule and pricing.


Good luck and enjoy the beautiful weather... when it gets here...


Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment